My kids LOVE pop-up books, so making their own pop-up frog was a complete hit! You can do this activity by only using two sheets of white paper, but we used colored construction paper.
Side note on conserving paper for larger groups of kids: Print the frog out once and use it as a template. That way you can cut several tongues out of one sheet of red, and a bunch of eyes and flies out of one white sheet of paper.
This whole project was inspired by one of my favorite books as a kid, How To Make Pop-Ups by Joan Irvine! I loved this book, actually still do.
It’s extremely easy to follow along, the hand drawings are very descriptive. My only complaint as a kid, I wish it would’ve had printables!
So, I decided to make one for my own kids. I hope yours have as much fun as mine did 🙂
- Download and print the pop-up frog
Step By Step Pop-Up Frog
1. Cut out all the pieces.
2. Fold the frog in half, along the dotted lines.
3. Cut the frog’s mouth.
4. Fold the frog’s mouth along the dotted lines. Flip the frog over and reverse that same fold.
5. Open the frog up and reverse the body fold. The mouth should pop open, making a diamond shape.
6. Completely fold the frog with the mouth open inside. Then run your finger along all the folds.
7. Fold a separate full sheet of paper in half. We used yellow construction paper.
8. Next open the frog, and flip him over. Lightly apply glue, but leave one side of his body without glue. This will allow his tongue to slide.
9. Line up the center fold on the frog with the center fold on the full sheet, then press it down.
10. Next glue and apply his eyes.
11. Next slide his tongue through the unglued part of his body.
12. Then fold the end of his tongue over his mouth.
13. Last add the flies where ever you want. We put one in his mouth! Also, you can add flying dotted lines behind them.
That’s it! By opening and closing the card, your frog will look like he’s opening and closing his mouth. To close the card completely you may need to help tuck his tongue away.
Download and Print
Click the image below to download, then right click to save.