This homemade finger paint recipe has been flying around Pinterest, like mad! So, we thought we’d give it a try and see if we like it.
Homemade Finger Paint Ingredients
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 2 cups of water
- food coloring
- marbles (for mixing)
It almost sounds good enough to eat!
- Warm water and ingredients in a small saucepan.
- Stir until it thickens to the consistency of paint.
- Pour into a container.
- Add a squirt of food coloring (the amount of food coloring is really up to you).
- Add a couple of marbles.
- Place lid on top and shake.
We cooked two batches and it made enough to fill three pizza sauce jars.
Here’s a list of what we liked and didn’t like.
- Right off the bat, if you couldn’t tell, this is super cheap!
- Making the paint is a fun activity to do with your kids.
- Super easy to make. The first batch I made got too thick, so I just added more water. The overall consistency is up to you. Try one batch thin and another thick, and ask your kids what they like most. Thin paint works better with paintbrushes. Thick paint is easier to use with fingers (since it sticks better).
- I found that it’s best to stop warming the ingredients before it gets to the desired thickness because it continues to cook after removing it from the burner.
- If you want to make more just double or triple the recipe.
The Bad (or not so good)
- The colors weren’t as bright as they seemed in the jar. After the paint dried on paper the colors were muted. You could add a lot more food coloring to make the colors richer.
- The food coloring can stain, especially depending on how much you use. This was not a big deal because we didn’t use as much food coloring.
Overall we really liked this homemade finger paint recipe! If you use this recipe, be sure to let us know what you think…especially if you make a change to it, and like it better.